On February 10, 2011, the Greenstone Economic Development Corporation held a Familiarization Tour for mining companies and other key stakeholders. The Geraldton District Hospital gave a short presentation to help inform potential mining companies and mining supply companies that hospital services have been in Geraldton for over 70 years and will continue to be here in the future for their employees and their families.
The following is a copy of the presentation.
In the early 1930’s, the first hospital in the area was established by Little Long Lac Gold Mines Limited. The Little Longlac Hospital had 23 beds. It was located on the mine site at the corner of Rosedale Point Road and Highway 854.
In 1939, five local mines formed a hospital association and incorporated the Little Longlac Hospital. The first Board of Directors was comprised of the managers of the five gold mines (Little Long Lac Gold Mines, MacLeod-Cockshutt Gold Mines, Bankfield Gold Mines, Tombill Gold Mines/Magnet Consolidated Mine and Hardrock Gold Mines).
In 1952 the Little Longlac Hospital was changed from a private hospital to a public hospital.
In the late 1950’s, plans were initiated to construct a new hospital centrally located in the town of Geraldton.
In 1962 the name of the hospital was changed to Geraldton District Hospital.
In 1963 the new 34-bed hospital opened on the current site, located at 500 Hogarth Avenue West.
In 1964 the Nurses Residence was opened, adjacent to the Hospital. This helped with the recruitment of new nursing staff.
In 1988, an additional long-term care wing, the John Owen Evans Residence, was constructed. The total bed complement changed to 60 beds, consisting of 24 acute, 5 obstetric, 5 pediatric and 26 long-term care beds.
Also, the Laboratory, Plant Operations Department, Stores and Administration office and a new Rehabilitation Department were relocated directly below the Residence.
In 1990 the Nurses Residence was refurbished and named the Bessie P. Newman Residence. The residence was then used by all health professionals and students.
In 2000, the Hospital opened the Northern Horizon Health Centre situated on the west side of the property. Centralizing the services of the Geraldton Medical Group, the Dental Office, Thunder Bay District Health Unit, Diabetes Education/Nutrition, and Community Care Access Centre, under one roof, improved accessibility for the Community.
Also, the Hospital underwent improvements to the acute care wing and the John Owen Evans Residence. Once again the total bed complement changed to 49 beds, consisting of 18 acute, 1 obstetric, 3 pediatric, 1 palliative care and 26 long-term care beds. With the addition of the new birthing suite located on the acute care unit, the former obstetrical unit was utilized to accommodate the Telemedicine studio, Employee Health Services and Infection Control, Continuous Quality Improvement Coordinator, Finance, Anishnabe Resource Worker and Recreation offices.
In 2002 and 2005, major renovations to the emergency department and support areas (ie: laundry, kitchen, cafeteria and boardroom) occurred. This also included a new drop off and pick up ambulance bay.
In 2008 the Northern Horizon Health Centre was expanded to accommodate the Greenstone Family Health Team.
The Geraldton District Hospital is a fully accredited hospital. The Hospital continues to collaborate with local district and regional partners to help ensure appropriate services are provided in the hospital and community for the benefit of all patients.
Recruitment of health professionals and the delivery of safe quality services are high priorities.
The Hospital is financially balanced in regards to day-to-day costs. Regardless, efficiencies are continuously monitored to help ensure future sustainability.
The Geraldton District Hospital is in the middle of a 5-year plan to upgrade heating, ventilation, air conditioning and electrical services to help ensure a comfortable and safe environment for patients and staff.
The Hospital continues to lobby the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care in order to obtain approval to relocate the Emergency Department from the lower level to the main level, adjacent to the Acute Care Unit. The new Emergency Department would be somewhat larger in order to accommodate not only more patients, but also more equipment. Patient flow would be improved and infection control practices would be maximized. Finally, additional space under the new Emergency Department would be available for other health care providers, thus improving accessibility of services to the community.
The proposed relocation of the Emergency Department would involve an expansion of the Hospital at an estimated cost of $9.9 million. The Ministry normally funds 90% of such projects (when approved) and the Hospital funds the remaining 10%. Geraldton District Hospital already has its 10%, thus alleviating the need for fundraising within the community.
Should any individual or group wish to receive information about any of the above information, then please do not hesitate to contact Kurt Pristanski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, more hospital information can be found on the Geraldton District Hospital website; www.geraldtondh.com.
Si vous désirez recevoir ce communiqué en français, veuillez appeler le 854-4102.
| Privacy Statement
Copyright 2010 by Geraldton District Hospital