Our contemporary Imaging department utilizes a radiology information system (RIS), computed radiology system (CR) and Picture Archiving Communication system (PACS) to capture and store images in a digital format. This technology allows all examinations to be read and interpreted by radiologists located in other communities. Reports are received within 1-2 days. Specialists and other health care professionals involved in patient care can also access images which improve efficiency and minimize duplication.
X-rays are a form of radiant energy, like light or radio waves. Unlike light, x-rays can penetrate the body, which allows a Technologist to produce pictures of internal structures. The Technologist can view these on photographic film or computer monitor.
X-ray examinations provide valuable information about your health and play an important role in helping your doctor make an accurate diagnosis. In some cases x-rays are used to assist with placement of tubes or other devices in the body or with other therapeutic procedures.
Geraldton District Hospital offers general x-ray exam and Intravenous Pyelograms (IVP’s). We do not provide barium studies.
| Patient Information
- Out patient x-ray exams are performed on a walk-in basis, you do not book an appointment.
- You must bring your requisition & health card with you and register in the emergency department.
- Once registered, you will stay in the waiting room until the technologists comes to get you.
Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound is a diagnostic medical procedure that uses high frequency sound waves (ultrasound) to produce dynamic visual images of organs, tissues, or blood flow inside the body.
Geraldton District Hospital offers ultrasound of OB/GYN, abdominal and small parts. We do not provide vascular or musculoskeletal ultrasounds.
| Patient Information
- Out patient ultrasound examinations are by appointment only. You must call the department to book an appointment.
- The technologist will inform you of any preparation required prior to your exam.
- You need to bring your requisition & health card with you and register in the emergency department.
- Once registered, you will stay in the waiting room until the technologist comes to get you.